Clarification on Gait Pattern

• Henry
    Participant

As a relative newcomer studying SHC, working to go back into practice after a decades-long absence from AK, I apologize if some of my initial questions in this forum may seem rudimentary or naive. So here is my first of many questions:

My most immediate puzzlement is about the Gait Pattern as described on Page 17 of the SHC Manual. Look at II. A. 1. It says with right leg bent (i.e. right leg leading), RIGHT upper body extensors should be weak and LEFT upper body flexors should be weak. Shouldn’t that be just the opposite: right upper body flexors weak and left upper body extensors weak? Is the SHC Manual in error or am I missing something here?

Walther in his Synopsis 2nd Edition (Page 170) describes the normal gait pattern as ipsilateral upper flexors weak, contralateral upper extensors weak.

• DrGangemi
    Keymaster

The leg that is bent is the “weighted leg” so in supine position the body perceives it as back (extensors firing).

• Henry
    Participant

So the bent leg is NOT the same as the forward leg or the “leading leg,” as Walther demonstrates it? The bent leg registers as the trailing leg in Walther’s demo?

I assumed that because the right foot was flat on the table, plantar receptors and contraction of the hip flexors would cause the body to perceive this as the weight-bearing leg, i.e. as the leading leg. But you are saying that the body perceives the right leg to be the trailing leg here?

I confess, I am not following the logic here.

• DrGangemi
    Keymaster

That is correct – it’s the trailing leg. If you test patients you will see this is the normal gait pattern when supine. There is really no contraction of the hip in this static position. You’re not testing it immediately upon bending the leg. With the leg bent the pt is more activating the glutes (extensors) rather than the flexors.

I’m not a neuro person – but neurologically this is how it occurs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Clarification on Gait Pattern